- Have identification tags for all of your pets ID Tags can be purchased at the Humane Society using their instant ID Tag machine.
- Make sure your pets are vaccinated, have proper collars and leashes.
- Make sure your pets are spayed/neutered.
If you are staying in your home, remember to include pet supplies in your list of essential hurricane supplies.
If you are evacuating to a friend or family’s home, hotel or taking your pet to a boarding facility, you should take the following supplies for your companion animal(s) with you:
• Proper collar, leash, rabies license tag, personal ID tag with area code and phone number (place an out-of-state contact number along with your own).
- Two weeks supply of food and sealed bottled water.
- Two month’s supply of heartworm preventative and other medications.
- Travel crate for use during travel or confining your pet at a friend’s home or hotel; it will provide a secure environment for them.
- Favorite toys for comfort.
- Towels and/or blankets.
- Litter and litter box for cats.
- A recent photograph of your pet(s).
- Newspapers and plastic trash bags for handling waste.
DO NOT TRANQUILIZE YOUR CAT OR DOG EXCEPT UNDER THE ADVICE OF YOUR VET.