Become a Home for the Holidays
Open up your home this holiday season to a shelter pet in need of a family. As a Home for the Holidays Foster Family, you will be able to choose a pet that’s a good fit for your family from available candidates, and provide them shelter, love and maybe even a few gifts this holiday season. In return, they will reward you with lots of cuddles and love!
If you can’t foster, but would still like to help, you can make a donation to cover the cost of supplies.
*Video filmed prior to COVID-19
Holiday Foster Program
You will be required to complete an application and authorization form allowing the Humane Society of Broward County to perform a multi-state criminal background check. We will ask for a $15 fee to cover the cost of the background check. Payment must be included when submitting an application. This program is open to adults, 18 years and older. Teens can earn high school service hours if they attend the orientation with a parent.
If you do not participate in our Home for the Holidays program, you will have the choice of having your $15 refunded, or we can make you a permanent part of our Foster or Adoption Ambassador program.
- December 16th: All applications must be completed by this date with medical records and photo submitted
- December 16th @ 4:00pm: Zoom orientation. This is required for all participants
- December 18th – 22nd: Pickup your foster pet.
- January 5th: Return your foster pet to the shelter. Of course, the host family always has the option to adopt their new furry friend and give them a forever home, or continue to keep the pet in your home and become their Adoption Ambassador
Please make sure your family is able to care for the pet for the duration of the program prior to making this commitment.
How to participate:
Those interested in providing holiday comfort and companionship to a pet in need would need to:
1. Complete and submit the application and background check information along with the $15 fee.
2. If you have pets at home, they must be spay/neutered and up to date on vaccines. Please email medical records with proof of spay/neuter and updated vaccines to firstname.lastname@example.org.
3. Email a headshot of the adult volunteer only (please include name) to email@example.com for your volunteer profile.
4. Link to the Zoom orientation will be forwarded when application is received.
5. The program coordinator will contact you after the orientation.
Pets looking for holiday homes
If you have a dog at home, once your application has been accepted, we welcome you to make an appointment to bring them in to meet their temporary guest prior to taking a dog home.