Surrendering a Pet
Our hope is that all pets can remain with their loving families or be re-homed with another welcoming family. After reviewing alternatives, if you are forced to give up your pet, we are here to help.
If you prefer to surrender to a breed- specific or foster-based rescue group, view our short directory. As we do not work with these organizations, we are not liable for their services. Please utilize them at your discretion.
Surrender to the Humane Society of Broward County
Our goal is to find a happy home for every healthy and friendly pet in our care. Although we cannot predict its future once you relinquish ownership, you may rest assured that your pet will be treated with kindness, dignity, and compassion.
- HSBC has an open admission policy, which means we accept any owned animal with proof of ownership.
- We accept all pets, with the exception of birds, livestock, reptiles, wild animals, amphibians or some exotic pets.
- Animals are evaluated for adoptability and must meet our criteria for good health and good temperament. If the animal you surrender meets our criteria, it will be placed up for adoption and there is no time limit. Animals must remain in good health, both physically and emotionally, and remain in good behavior.
- Pet surrender appointments are available to Broward County residents only
Make sure surrendering your pet at this time is your final decision. By surrendering an animal to us, you are relinquishing all rights of ownership and information regarding your pet. Once surrendered, we cannot call you regarding the animal’s status, be it adoption or euthanasia, and we cannot provide information about the animal if you visit or call at a later date.
The cost to care for and re-home pets can be hundreds of dollars for each animal in our care. HSBC asks for a surrender fee to help subsidize this cost:
- Pet Surrender Fee: $50
Each additional pet from the same household: $40 per pet
(Limit 5 adult pets over 6 months of age per week, per household.)
- Litter fees: $65 per litter
(A litter is considered siblings of the same age, less than 6 months of age. If multiple litters are surrendered, the cost is $65 per litter.) Age will be determined by the HSBC staff.
Donations in excess of $30 are encouraged and appreciated, as our shelter does not receive government funding and is not affiliated with any national humane organizations. Your tax dollars pay for local animal control, but they do not benefit the Humane Society of Broward County, a private nonprofit organization. Therefore, surrender fees are critical to help us care for the animals coming through our doors each day.
After you surrender the pet, please keep in mind the fee is non-refundable, regardless of the outcome or services provided.
Shelter Address: 2070 Griffin Rd, Fort Lauderdale, FL. 33312
- The Admissions Department is currently open by appointment only. It is closed on major holidays.
- Click here to schedule an appointment online or call us at 954.266.6873 and allow 48 hours for a return call.
- When you arrive at the shelter for your scheduled appointment, enter through the west side of the building in the “Admissions” department.
If you require assistance outside of our business hours, you may try contacting Broward County Animal Care and Adoptions. Their pet surrender services are currently being conducted by appointment only. Please email them at [email protected] or call 954.357.9758.
Please remember to bring the following items so we may better serve you:
- Any vet records and/or adoption papers you have for your pet. The patron belonging to the name on the paperwork must be present.
- Payment for fee(s) at the time of surrender. Exact cash, credit, or check is accepted, and additional donations are appreciated.
- A valid driver’s license or state ID.
Please have your animal on a secure leash or in a proper carrier.
- It is recommended you bring along a small item your pet is familiar with to help reduce stress at the shelter (toy, blanket, bed, or treat).
- You may donate any used/unopened food, litter, grooming supplies, toys, bedding, etc.